Thursday 28 August 2014

Another Week in Ocho Rios

It seems like I am always playing catch up with this blog.

Sunday we had to give talks in church.  I gave mine on tithing and Brian gave his on "Testimonies of the Savior found in 3rd Nephi."  After Sacrament meeting I decided to visit the youth Sunday School class.  We had some investigators in the class.  Rohan thought it would be a good idea to visit the class so that I could get to know some of the kids in my seminary class.  I enjoyed the class and the way the sister who taught it engaged the youth.  After the block, I visited with some of the sisters totally forgetting that I was suppose to be in the correlation meeting. One of the sisters I was visiting with is somewhat less active so I didn't  feel too bad about the missing the meeting.  After church, we dropped off some food for a family and then headed for home to get a bite to eat.  We needed to take some things to Tracy and Rohan so we headed over to their home and then invited them to go with us to see Sister Rose.  She is so close to death.  I am glad they have drugs to help ease the pain.  I think Rohan was surprised to see how much she had gone downhill.  Rohan has only been a member for about 8 or 9 months.  Both he and his wife study a lot and one day I think he will really build up this branch.  He is a  powerhouse when it comes to service and responsibility.  He has taken the youth under his wings along with the other new converts.  It is impressive to see.  When we got back to Traacy and Rohan's home, we showed them "The John Tanner Story" off of my ipad.  They enjoyed it.

Monday was P-day and it rained all day.  It was nice to get the rain.  Brian worked on some power points and I worked on seminary.  The sisters came over so that they could do their e-mails.  I did make some cinnamon rolls but they are a lot heavier when I don't have my Bosch to knead them.

Tuesday we ran out to President Lesters to get a signature and ended up bringing he and Peter into town.
Brian went to the bank with President Lester while I went grocery shopping with Peter.  We then went to see the Llewellans because Ester was there and I wanted to drop some cinnamon rolls and the recipe for them.  We had a very good visit and learned a lot.  We then headed to Brother Barbagees to get a signature.  He wasn't home so we visited with Sister Barbagee for a while and then decided to leave.  As we were turning around to head home, Brother Barbagee came home and we were able to get his signature.  It is more than a half hour to his home so we were happy that we didn't have to make the trip back.  We rushed home and then headed for the branch so Brian could teach temple prep.

It seems like we are always eating around  7:00 or 8:00 every night.  Sometimes we get back from an appointment late in the afternoon so we grab a sandwich and then we are off again and getting home late at night.  I have learned to cook fast and simply.  Kraft Mac and Cheese seems to be my standby if I don't have a lot on hand.  I try to add onions and tomatoes to it to make it a little healthier but I think I have eaten more macaroni and cheese in the last two months then I have eaten in the last two years.  I guess I could also say the same for peanut butter.

Wednesday  Jill called me in the morning and told me she was in labor and was going to the hospital.  I expected to come home from district meeting and have a new grandson.  Not so!  They sent her home.  I invited the sisters over for french toast and then we headed to Port Antonio around 7:30 a.m. We got there a little early so we stopped in to see Shaneeza.  I was happy to see that her sister was still there.  Her sister is heading back home to Guiana on Sunday.  Shaneeza was telling us that she woke up to the chattering of the two birds that they have.  She thought something was trying to get them.  To her surprise, the plug for her fan had caught on fire where it was plugged in.  Had she waited any longer, the sheets that were near the plug  would have caught on fire.  She was feeling quite blessed.  We left for our meeting and when it was over, the sisters threw flour on Elder Lee.  It is a Jamaican custom to pour flour on the person and then egg them or put water on them.  Instead of getting a cake, you become the cake.  On the way home, it started raining.  At one area of the highway, it was raining so hard that we could hardly see the road and the wipers were going full force.  We got home around 2:30.  Wednesday night we drove to Pimento Walk so that we could get to know  Sister Bridgemorhan.  Sister Henry is her mother so we were able to visit with both of them.  We had a great visit and learned a lot about Jamaican customs.  Sister Bridgemorhan served a mission here in Jamaica and then attended school at BYU Idaho.  She would love to teach history here but she hasn't been able to get a position because the government says it is out of money so she works at one of the grocery stores in town.  Sister Henry told us about Jamaican funerals.  After the person dies, the relatives fix a lot of food and people stop by to eat and drink and visit.  The night before the funeral, a band comes to play and everyone drinks and parties all night.It can be a real drain on the finances for the poorer people.  Sister Henry told us that she couldn't afford to cook for everyone when her mother died so she didn't and nobody came.  She did cook the night before but didn't have the band.  She said that a lot of people in the town have decided her way was a good idea.  We got on the subject of funerals because of Sister Rose. We have been wondering what the family will do.




No comments:

Post a Comment