Sunday 11 January 2015

Brown's Town

Sister Wege sent us an e-mail requesting some signatures for two of our members who are on the PEF  program so Monday we decided to make a trip into Brown's Town to get the signatures.  We stopped at Sister Alexanders to get Anika's signature.  She was in the middle of helping her mom make dinner for 140 people.  She had quite the assembly line going.  Sister Alexander  is a very good cook and recently opened a little restaurant.  We decided to check it out and ended up getting sweet and sour chicken.  It was really good.  The chef said, "I'll see you tomorrow."  We told him we lived in Ocho  but little did we know, we would be back up on Wednesday to fix all the problems that we created on Monday so we decided to stop at the cook shop again.  This time we had fried chicken.  I honestly don't know how they can make their lunches so cheap.  We had fried chicken, rice and peas with a nice sauce, a few pieces of curry chicken and a little salad.  We ordered the small size but he gave us the medium size and it was only $350 JD which is a little less than $3.50 US.  I think Sister Alexander must burn the candle at both ends because she also has a full time job.  She is also our Primary president.  On our way home from Brown's Town, we stopped in Lime Hall so Wayne could wash our truck.  We stopped into see Humphrey and Tanesha in Lime Hall also.

Tuesday we made a trip out to Highgate to see Sister Raymond.  We also stopped in Port Maria to see a sister that lives in Highgate but works in  Port Maria at the hospital.  She was very pleasant to talk to.  I wish Highgate wasn't so far away.  I took another picture of one of Sister Raymond's banana spiders.  They are really creepy looking but I hear they are not harmful.

Wednesday we had district meeting and then left for Brown's Town.  On our way back home we stopped at the hospital to see Sister Robinson.  We had met her at the branch that morning before her doctor's appointment.  She was walking down the hill from her house and fell on her bottom and twisted her ankle.  Little did we know that she would go into labor that night.  She lives in Parry Town and their had been a shooting up there.  There was a curfew going on and when she tried to call for a taxi at 1:30 in the morning, no one wanted to go up into that area at that time of night.  She couldn't get a hold of her midwife so her friend called a family member to come and get her.  She left for the hospital at 4:30 a.m. and had her baby at 5:00 in the car.  She ended up going home that evening at 4:00.  Her daughter only weighed around 5 lbs.  She is so cute.  I might add that to get to her home, she had to hike up a hill that nearly killed me the first time I hiked it.  I thought about how easy it is to have a baby at home and how pampered we are.

Thursday we stopped in to see Sister Lewellan.  She was able to get the blood that she needed so she got to come home from the hospital.  We also stopped into see the elder's new apartment.  It will be really nice and in a lot better area.  Right now they live on James Street.  It is in the middle of town and the road is almost always congested with cars and pedestrians.  I taught seminary and Brian taught institute.  It was a good day.

Friday we did a little shopping after Brian got home from the Branch.  I spent the morning studying for my YW's lesson.

Saturday we got the truck washed and then headed for Spanish Town for a seminary and institute inservice.                      After we got home, I put a vegetable lasagna together for our Sunday dinner.  I  invited the Pearsons to join us since they were coming to the branch so that Elder Pearson could do an audit.  I also worked on my YW's lesson.  I might mention that while I was in the kitchen getting the lasagna ready, I heard a sound that sounded like rushing water.  I ran into the bathroom to see if the toilet was overflowing but it was not.  Brian ran into the bathroom and noticed that the hose going to the water faucet had sprung a leak.  He turned off the little valves and took off the faucet thinking that he could just replace the hose but the hoses were permanently connected to the faucet.  I was so glad that it didn't happen while we were in Spanish Town.  We would have had a real flood on our hands and who knows what would have happened with all the electrical cords that we have on the floor for our computers and fans.  I feel really blessed that we were home when it happened.


The branch presidency spoke in Sacrament meeting today.  The talks were really good.  Brian met up with Elder Pearson at 7:00 this morning to work on the audit.  I worked on my lesson and made some bread sticks and a cabbage salad for dinner before Sister Pearson picked me up to go to the branch.  I was disappointed in the turnout at the branch.  You never know how many will show up.  Elder and Sister Pearson and I left right after the block so that I could put the lasagna in the oven while we were waiting for Brian to come home.  We had a great visit and then after the Pearsons left, we went to St. Ann's Hospital with the sister missionaries to visit with Sandra Henry.  Sister Mouritson is leaving Ocho for Nassau.  I hate to see her go.  She has been a very good missionary.  It is amazing how you get attached to these missionaries.
Banana Spider

No comments:

Post a Comment